Fleet Insurance for the Waste Industry
START YOUR ENQUIRY
CALL US TODAY
We can cover you for:
- Skip Lorries
- Private Cars
- Commercial Vehicles
- Roll on Roll off
Have any questions?Please call us on 0121 778 2044 to speak to a representative or send us an enquiry
Are your customers overloading skips?
We have recently seen an increase in claims from waste falling from Skip Lorries!
This can be caused by customers overloading skips with different types of waste/materials which are not secured correctly. Also customers fail to disclose the type of waste which could impact on the overall weight when drives are collecting the loaded skip.
Taking into account the above scenarios, this can lead to vehicles tipping over which can cause thousands of pounds worth of damage as well as personal injury.
Although the customer does have a responsibility to adhere to the skip hirers rules, it is also the responsibility of the drivers to adequately cover the skips upon collection with appropriate covers.
On occasions skips will be left on driveways and/or on the road and these are often overloaded by the customers, before the skips can be taken away the driver needs to ensure that the waste is removed so that there is suitable load for transportation.
Drivers are responsible for checking the safety of the skip whilst in transit but ultimately it is down to the skip company to provide adequate training.
See below our risk management tips:
- Ensure all drivers complete an application form and assess their driving skills before employment (and keep records)
- Provide a company handbook
- Monitor driving licences (now online) periodically should your drivers have had convictions and not informed you. This could have an impact on insurers paying claims.
- Fit forward facing cameras to your vehicle. This can speed up the settlement of claims as indemnity can be established promptly.
- Ensure your vehicles are inspected regularly and maintained to a high standard.
- When accidents occur ensure drivers are fully aware of the road side procedure to avoid any confusion with third parties. Photographic evidence is vital.
- Ensure you are complying with the LOLER Regulations with regards to your hydraulics.
Taking these steps could help you minimise your claims loss ratio thus keeping your insurance premiums at reasonable levels.
Get in touch if you would like some advice or if you simply want to discuss your insurance needs.
We understand the Waste Industry and have specialist staff to deal with all of your insurance requirements. Arthur Marsh are proud to be a member of the Chartered Institution of Waste Management (CIWM).