Birmingham: 0121 778 2044
Lines open Monday-Friday 9am-5pm

Contractors All Risks Insurance



We can cover you for:

  • Contract Works
  • Hired in Plant
  • Own Plant
  • Public Liability
  • Employers Liability

Have any questions?

Please call us on 0121 778 2044 to speak to a representative or send us an enquiry

Protecting your responsibilities when governing a contract that involves the construction of buildings or civil works.

The contract governing the works will place the responsibility for any loss or damage with either the contractor or the employer. Contractors all risks insurance is designed to protect you when undergoing a contract in a number of different areas.

Public & Employers Liability

Much like a combined liability policy, the primary parts to a contractors all risks policy are the public and employers liability sections. Public liability insurance provides cover for your legal liability in the event of damage to third party property or bodily injury to a member of the public whilst carrying out your activities. The standard limits of indemnity provided by insurers are £1,000,000, £2,000,000 and £5,000,000, however higher limits are available through an extension to the policy or as a separate excess layer.

Employers liability is required by law if you employ direct employees or labour only sub-contractors as part of your work and provides cover in the event of bodily injury to your employees or labour only sub-contractors whilst carrying out work on your behalf. The minimum level required is £5,000,000 however most insurers provide a £10,000,000 limit of indemnity.

Renovations & Extensions

When a property such as a house or shop is undergoing renovation only the alterations are covered under a contractors all risks policy, not an existing structure. The existing structure should still continue to be insured under a current household policy. Any new renovations and/or extensions are normally covered under the contractors all risks policy.

Contract Works

The contract works includes both the permanent works including unfixed materials and the temporary works on site anywhere in the UK.

The permanent works are the main subject matter of the contract, for example a house, a factory unit or a block of flats etc. that is being built. Permanent works will also include all unfixed materials like building materials delivered on site that will be used in connection with the contract. Unfixed material are also covered on the premises of suppliers and sub-contractors.

The temporary works are site installations which are not part of the project, but are required to facilitate a contract. Examples include site huts, scaffolding and portaloos.

Plant & Machinery

Both hired in and own plant can be covered under a contractors all risks policy however, plant can be expensive, therefore hiring in plant can save money and time. The hirers can ask you as the contractor to provide the insurance for any loss, damage or theft to the plant when under your custody or control. Typical items hired in could include dumpers, tracked excavators, mobile cranes, tower cranes.

In addition to the above, we are able to offer a tailored policy to your specific needs. For example:

  • Hired in plant in isolation
  • Contract works in isolation
  • Public & Employers liability in isolation

Related Links

Latest Tweet
insurance logos